J. Robert Seder is Of Counsel at SederLaw, practicing in the Banking and Finance, Real Estate and Business Law, areas. Mr. Seder’s practice focuses commercial loan transactions, workouts, and related issues, including bilateral and syndicated asset-based and commercial real estate loans; private securities offerings and debt and equity capitalizations; joint ventures; mergers and acquisitions; and other corporate transactions arising out of the day-to-day operations of his business clients. He serves as counsel to a number of business organizations, state and federally-chartered credit unions and banks in connection with both internal corporate and transactional-based matters.
Mr. Seder has represented both secured and unsecured creditors in bankruptcy proceedings, and he is often engaged by his lending clients in complex work-outs and financial restructurings, and in other matters involving bringing troubled credit relationships back to performing status.
Mr. Seder assists both commercial lenders and borrowers in structuring, negotiating and documenting a wide variety of both small- and large-scale credit facilities and loans, including those involving complex, multi-tranche credit facilities; commercial real estate and construction loans; asset-based loan facilities; accounts receivable financings and specialized healthcare receivable financings; and inventory and equipment-based facilities.
Mr. Seder frequently lectures on matters of Bankruptcy Law and Asset Based Lending. He has served on numerous boards including the Worcester Human Rights Commission; Legal Aid Society; Jewish Federation of Central Massachusetts; Executive Committee, Jewish Healthcare Center; Greater Worcester Community Foundation; Worcester Municipal Research Bureau; Executive Committee, Worcester Business Development Corporation and the Bankruptcy Literacy Program.
- Represented a large, publicly-traded national energy company in a series of multi-million dollar transactions involving acquisitions of other energy companies east of the Mississippi River. The transactions were successfully negotiated and consummated by these Seder & Chandler partners often under time-sensitive conditions.
- Represented a regional lender in connection with an extension of an $25MM+ construction loan of credit facility for the financing of constructing a multi-unit apartment complex.
- Represented the independent director of a Hong Kong subsidiary of a Ch. 11 Debtor in connection with intercompany claims in the negotiation of an intercompany agreement. Lengthy negotiations were successfully conducted in New York City, with multiple counsel, over a six (6) week period.
- Represented numerous domestic and foreign lenders in connection with extensions of various lines of credit, term and commercial real estate mortgage loan facilities in excess of $5B, in the aggregate.
- Massachusetts, 1964
- New York, 1965
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts, 1970
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1967
- U.S. District Court Northern District of New York, 1967
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 1966
- New York University School of Law, New York, New York
- J.D. – 1964
- Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island
- B.A. – 1961
- Major: English Literature
- Fidelity Co-op Bank (Banking)
- Peoples United Bank (Banking)
- Clinton Savings Bank (Banking)
- Osterman Associated Companies (Propane Gas Distribution)
- Data Guide Cable Corporation (Manufacturing)
- Lecturer, Bankruptcy Law and Asset Based Lending, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, American College of Bankruptcy 2004-Present
- U.S. News – Best Lawyers® Best Lawyers – Corporate Lawyer of the Year
- U.S. News – Best Lawyers® Best Lawyers 1989-Present
- SuperLawyers® 2005-Present
- Peer Review Distinguished™ rated by Martindale-Hubbell
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Jewish Healthcare Center, President, 2004 to 2007
- Jewish Healthcare Center, Executive Committee, 2000
- Legal Aid Society, President, 1972 to 1975
- Worcester Business Development Corporation, Chairman, 2011 to 2013
- Worcester Regional Research Bureau (1989-Present Director)
- Worcester Business Development Corporation, Vice Chairman, 2009 to 2010
- Worcester Regional Research Bureau , Clerk, 1982 to 1984
- Massachusetts; U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- New York; U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit
- Worcester Human Rights Commission, Chairman, 1973 to 1977
Past Employment Positions
- Seligson & Morris (New York, NY), Associate, 1965 to 1967
Pro Bono Activities
- Participant in Bankruptcy Literacy Program, 2009