Robert Adler is the Managing Partner of SederLaw and practices in the Business Law, Banking & Finance, Estate Planning, and Litigation & ADR areas. Recognized by Best Lawyers in America© as Lawyer of The Year in Worcester 2023, for excellence in Banking and Finance Law, Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships), and in 2022 for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, he counsels businesses, individuals and families facing strategic, financial, corporate, employment and other critical legal decisions.
Mr. Adler serves as outside general counsel to a number of closely-held companies, including multi-generational family businesses; start-up companies founded by aspiring entrepreneurs; and (so-called) “spin-off” and “split-off” companies created by parent/subsidiary equity exchanges and other corporate divestitures. He is consistently relied upon by his corporate clients to provide legal expertise and business guidance in connection with a wide variety of commercial transactions, agreements, disputes and other matters arising out of day-to-day business operations, including: corporate governance and organizational matters; sales, mergers & acquisitions; joint ventures; succession planning franchise and licensing matters; employment policies and disputes; and strategic and long-term business planning. Mr. Adler also serves as a trustee to (or other representative of) numerous family and financial trusts and other fiduciary entities in connection with his estate planning and succession planning practices.
Mr. Adler has substantial litigation expertise in both federal, bankruptcy and state courts and has represented litigants in a wide variety of cases. In addition to his commercial litigation practice, Mr. Adler has litigated numerous trust, probate and other fiduciary-related cases and on several occasions has been appointed by the Court as a Special Trustee and, or, Receiver of trusts and closely held corporation. Mr. Adler is also a certified mediator and has often been chosen by litigating counsel or the Court as arbitrator or mediator in a number of commercial, business and, trust disputes.
Mr. Adler has extensive experience in bankruptcy matters and frequently represents creditors, debtors and other litigants in various insolvency proceedings in the bankruptcy court. Mr. Adler maintains an active creditors’ rights practice focusing on bringing troubled credit relationships back to performing status and representing both regional and national banks and other institutions in complex work-out, financial restructuring and foreclosure matters.
- Massachusetts, 1985
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts, 1985
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit, 1985
- Boston University School of Law, Boston, Massachusetts
- J.D. – 1984
- Honors: Paul J. Liacos Scholar
- State University of New York at Albany, Albany, New York
- B.A. – 1979
- Honors: summa cum laude
- Major: Psychology
- Lecturer, Protecting Assets from Creditors, MCLE, 2000
- Lecturer, The Sale of Assets in Bankruptcy, ABI Northeast Bankruptcy Conference, 2002
Honors and Awards
- Best Lawyers in America© as Lawyer of The Year in Worcester 2023, for excellence in Banking and Finance Law, Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships).
- Best Lawyers in America© Lawyer of The Year in Worcester 2022, for excellence in Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law.
- Super Lawyers 2006-Present
- Samuel Seder Young Leadership Award Recipient, Jewish Federation of Central Massachusetts
- Fellow, Massachusetts Bar Association, 2006-Present
- Best Lawyers in America© – Banking and Finance Law, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships), Litigation – Banking and Finance.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Worcester County Bar Association
Past Employment Positions
- Bowditch & Dewey
- Health-tex Inc.
Pro Bono Activities
- Greater Worcester Community Foundation, Corporator, 2003 to Present
- Greater Worcester Community Foundation, Director, 2007 to 2016
- Melvin S. Cutler Charitable Foundation, Trustee, 2006 to Present
- Sumner and Lois Herman Charitable Foundation, Trustee, 2003 to Present
- Jewish Federation of Central Massachusetts, Inc., President, 2000 to 2002
- Jewish Family Service of Worcester Inc., President, 1995 to 1997
- Jewish Health Care Center Inc., Board of Directors, 2008 to 2012
- WICN Public Radio, Vice President, 1994 to 1995